Kwazulu Natal bush breakaway
Our holiday home is situated on a game farm in Kwazulu Natal (2 hours north of Kind Shaka Airport). Relax the day away by the pool while you soak up the sun and enjoy watching African game walking by the house.
Don't worry about a thing when you come to stay in our 4 bedroom home - fully equipped and ready to welcome you. Thembe will look after you, cleaning the kitchen and making your beds up to 5 times a week (Monday - Friday)
This is our home when we are on holiday and would like to spend time in the African bush. We do not claim it to be perfect as it is far from the bustling city. It is a modern home with relaxed interior but we LOVE it and we know you will too.
We leave basic groceries on your arrival - tea, coffee, milk (long life full cream) as well as the staple salt, pepper, cooking oil. We usually have some herbs and spices, but can't guarantee they stay the same for each guest. We leave nothing in the fridge or on the shelf that is past it's sell by date so you can rest assured if it's there, it's fresh and usable. You are welcome to use anything in the cupboards and fridge - it's there for you to use.
Sometimes we, or other guests may leave items such as rice / pap / pasta behind - please use it as needed but please don't count on it.
We do have a few rooms, cupboards and drawers which we keep our own personal items in, these are clearly marked or locked so easy to tell, all the other cupboards are open and helpful items inside are for your disposal.
We have a lovely outdoor fire pit area. We do not provide the firewood, please pick up wood if you wish to use this facility (usually about R30 a bag at the Engen garage (by the Spar on Main Road in Empangeni town, and most garages will have in stock)
Most rooms have aircons but please don't count on them being useful as our 3 phase power can be unreliable - please remember to turn them off when you go out (we like to be environmentally conscientious).
On warmer days - feel free to enjoy the patio with outside wood/charcoal braai. We do find visitors leave behind charcoal occasionally but please don't count on it and be sure to pack a few bags if you plan to braai most evenings.
Important to note:
1) There is a gas stove and an electric oven. Please ask the allocated person to show you how these areas work.
2) There is no DSTV. We do have a Netflix account connected and a DVD player; however, we cannot guarantee it is working. Our TV does have an HDMI cable for you to plug into your laptop, with a surround sound system. Ideal for those with dvd's, netflix or mobile channels. Our house comes with Wifi; however, we do find it a bit unpredictable.
3) We have great Vodacom mobile connectivity, provided the local power is on. MTN and Cell C have limited coverage but you'll find a small section in the North East corner of the deck can pickup signal.
4) Kids are welcome, but please note the pool is not covered, there are open lakes, there is no closed fence line and this is a game farm so children will need to be closely watched.
5) As a game farm you can be almost guaranteed to see predators, or be seen by predators like crocodiles and leopard. Be sure that you do not enter any lakes.
6) This is a bush farm and we have the privilege of seeing amazing animals like hippo, buffalo, giraffe, wildebeest and much more. These incredible animals are the main reason we bought this home. They have become accustomed to moving around the houses in the development area; however, they are still dangerous.
7) Please don't be those guests who we have to call security out to break up your noisy, rowdy parties :) That's embarrassing and expensive - and you get that bill! Friends / family visiting for coffee or a quiet meal is perfectly acceptable and we love knowing you feel that comfortable in our home. The development hosts a number of retired and bush-loving families who live here to enjoy the natural sounds of nature so we ask that you keep your noise volume down.
8) Alas, we are not equipped for more than 8 guests. This listing is for 4 bedrooms, up to 8 guests. If you need to include a few very small children in one of the bedrooms, please advise us in advance.
9) The ground not on the official road area has a clay basis. When raining, do not move your car off the main road e.g. onto the grass or muddy roadways as your car will slide and get stuck in mud (even 4x4s!).
There is a double space available for cars to park. Additional cars can park very close to the fence line, parallel but off the road, along the front (roadside) of the house.
Our neighbours prefer no peeping-Toms, please avoid walking past the neighbouring houses, except on the official road.
The patio, pool and garden at the back of our house is your own private area.
If you wish not to have the daily service, please advise your host at check in and they will happily oblige. However there is no reduction in the cost.
If you have any special cleaning preferences, please write them down in English so that Thembe can assist you. Thembe works very hard to keep us happy and to keep our home neat and tidy. She is an important part of our family. Thembe arrives at 08h00 and cleans the common area. If the bedrooms are vacant by 10h00, Thembe will clean bathrooms and tidy bedrooms.
Please no smoking (including vapes) on the premises, not even by the pool side. In the past, smokers have taken a walk along the road to the park at the end of the street. Please don't leave your stompies behind.
Thembe is available for your laundry needs at an additional cost. She is only able to do machine-wash and only on days the weather permits drying on the washing line, so please do not rely on this. Please expect to pay R17 per KG of clothing (no hand washing). Thembe is skilled at washing but please be aware the clothes washing and ironing is at your own risk. Please do not use the laundry on your own.
Interaction with guests
You might bump into other guests or our neighbours from time to time, but we're out of town on extended work assignments, often not in the same time zone. So while we'll answer any messages as soon as we can (we're of the generation where our smart phones are close at hand almost all the time!) we might not always be available to chat at the same time as you are (or even awake!).
That said - we have wonderful neighbours who will introduce themselves when you check in and they'll know who to phone for assistance.
Other things to note
Fresh linen & towels available on arrival and refreshed weekly for long stays.
If you would like a touch of local tourism - We are less than an hour from the Hluhluwe Imfolozi Cengeni Gate, less than 15 minutes from Thula Thula Game Reserve, 30 minutes from Pelican Beach, 60 minutes from Shakaland and 75 minutes from St Lucia and of course, a window away from viewing spectacular game strolling past your front door.